Fairfield High School for Girls
Tradition. Vision. Learning.
Modern Foreign Languages
The ability to communicate is critical in all aspects of life, indeed, the ability to express oneself orally and in writing is absolutely essential. No matter where your future may take you, whether in the UK or abroad, Modern Languages can help you succeed and make you more employable. Language skills are a key asset in any job and the possibilities are literally endless!
Through Key Stages 3 and 4, we aim to develop students' abilities to use Modern Languages for practical communication and to offer them insights into the language, culture and civilisation of French, German and Spanish-speaking countries. We aim to make language learning an enjoyable, successful and rewarding experience and seek to develop the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing in a Modern Language.
Led by the Director of Study, the Modern Languages team consists of the equivalent of five full-time members of staff and part-time French-speaking, German-speaking, and Spanish-speaking Language Assistants.
ICT is a regular feature of learning and the Modern Languages Faculty has its own suite of 30 networked PCs. All five Modern Languages teaching rooms are equipped with a projector and most have an interactive white-board. We subscribe to a variety of websites to complement learning in the classroom.
The Modern Languages Faculty also offers enrichment activities such as the European Day of Languages, participation at the Tameside Festival of Languages, magazine subscriptions, and visits to Paris in Year 7, Cologne in Year 8, Madrid in Year 9, and Berlin in Year 11.
How will Modern Languages help me in my career?
A host of possibilities exist for good linguists in almost all walks of life, whether you choose to stay in the UK or live abroad, including: Business and Banking, Fashion, Communications, Education, Government Services, Humanities and the Arts, Sciences, Technology, and Travel Services.
Key Stage 3
- Self, Family and Pets
- School and Jobs
- Hobbies and Leisure Activities
- Home and Local Environment
- Food and Drink
- Healthy Lifestyles and Illness
- Music and TV
Key Stage 4
- Personal and Social Life: self, family, friends, home life, shopping, meals, healthy living, illness and accident, free time, fashion, relationships, future plans.
- The Local Community: Home town, school, education, local environment, pollution, recycling, local facilities, comparisons with other towns and regions, weather and seasons.
- The World of Work: work experience, part-time jobs, future careers, technology (sending messages and accessing information).
- The Wider World: travel and holidays, media, social issues (e.g. life of young people today, homelessness, crime, drugs, healthy living, religion, politics), life in the countries and communities where the language is spoken.